Recipes, both original and favorite ones from other authors. Vegetarian with vegan-friendly (most of the time!) options.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Pasta with Sauteed Tomatoes, Zucchini, Potatoes, and Mint

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day, and I didn't have a meal planned for tonight. That's okay, because I am loving focusing on what's growing in the garden. I had more tomatoes, zucchini, and all that mint I wrote about on my regular blog. So I devised a pasta. The pasta itself was vegan, and I served fresh mozzarella balls, the tiny kind, alongside, and also bread crumbs toasted in butter. The breadcrumbs were an afterthought, but as we were eating I thought I should have toasted some in oil for Hibi, because they really added to the meal. But she enjoyed it a lot, nevertheless.

Pasta with Sauteed Tomatoes, Zucchini, Potatoes, and Mint

Bring a pot of water to a boil to cook the pasta (I used one pound of angel hair).

Slice four small tomatoes into quarters, four tiny zucchini (with blossoms still attached, if available) into quarters, and two small potatoes (we had the purple-fleshed kind!) into small cubes. Chop an onion or a couple of green onions, and chop four cloves of garlic. Heat a tablespoon of good olive oil in a skillet. Sautee all vegetables until almost tender.

Melt a teaspoon of butter in a small skillet. Crumble one or two slices of good bread into the skillet and toast, stirring every couple of minutes, until crispy.

Add a pound of pasta to the boiling water.

Add to the vegetable mixture 1/2 cup of fresh mint leaves. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until the leaves are wilted. Toss with the drained pasta and serve with fresh mozzarella and toasted bread crumbs.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

We've been getting the purple potatoes in our CSA box, yum.

I'm going to try this.

architect said...

How fun! A new blog just for veggies. =)
A yummy side dish that I did yesterday, was slice up some new potatoes (1/4's to eights, size dependent) then deep fry them in canola oil until they start to turn brown, (the recipe said olive oil, but my olive oil bottle is about empty) then salt them with sea salt and serve 'em warm. Shockingly good. =)
My mom is more adventursome than the common gardener, and she is finally learning about compost, she could use more though but we'll take what we can get! Your mom is rather with it, regarding environmental toxins and such, so I would think she would be more organic minded than most.
and, I was skimming previous posts and realized you asked a ? about wine in Utah. It is ok to buy wine in Utah in state liquor stores, but it is not ok to have any booze that was brought in from another state. This isn't a prohibition remnant but Brigham Young's greed/control in keeping the $$ in Utah. Utah is interesting. =)

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

a garden is such a lovely thing to focus upon! your pasta dish sounds amazing - wonderful flavor combo.

 
SC